Claratyne (known as Claritin in the United States) is a fast-acting, non-drowsy treatment used to relieve the symptoms of perennial and seasonal allergic rhinitis, commonly referred to as hayfever. It provides daily relief from sneezing, running or itchy nose, nasal congestion, throat discomfort, and irritated or watery eyes. Claratyne also alleviates the symptoms of other allergic skin conditions including urticaria, or "hives", which consists of red, itchy lumps that develop on the skin's surface. The active ingredient in each tablet of Claratyne is 10mg of the antihistamine Loratadine. Loratadine helps to reduce allergy symptoms by preventing the effects of the substance histamine, which is produced by the body in response to substances it is allergic to.
Maize Starch, Magnesium Stearate, Lactose.
- Adults and children over 12 years of age - Take one tablet daily.
- Children aged 2 to 12 years of age weighing more than 30kg - Take one tablet of Claratyne daily.
- Children aged 2 to 12 years of age weighing less than 30kg - Take half a tablet of Claratyne daily.
- Claratyne tablets are not be used by children under 2 years of age unless advised otherwise by your doctor or pharmacist. They should use Claratyne syrup instead.
- Do not take a double dosage of Claratyne if you forget to take your daily amount. If you miss a daily dose but remember more than 12 hours before you are due to take your next dose then take it as normal. If it is less than 12 hours before your next dose then skip that day's dose and take the next dose when it is due.
Warnings and Cautions
- Consult with your doctor or pharmacist before using Claratyne if you are pregnant or breast-feeding
- Consult with your doctor or pharmacist before taking Claratyne if you have liver or severe kidney problems
- Claratyne is unlikely to cause drowsiness. If you do find that you become affected do not drive a vehicle or operate machinery
- Do not use Claratyne if you are allergic to Loratadine or any of the other ingredients of Claratyne. Claratyne does not contain sucrose or gluten but do contain lactose
- Keep Claratyne out of the reach of young children
- In some cases, possible side effects of this medication may include: Headaches, Fatigue, Dry mouth
- Keep Claratyne in a cool, dry place. Store below 30°C/85°F. Protect from direct sunlight.
Claratyne is manufactured by Schering-Plough Pty Ltd, Wellington, New Zealand.
If you are currently taking other medications, have other medical conditions, you may be pregnant, or you are breastfeeding, please contact us to talk to a pharmacist.