SteroClear 50 (Budesonide) Hayfever Nasal Spray
SteroClear 50 is used to provide short term prevention and treatment of seasonal allergic rhinitis (hayfever). It contains Budesonide 50mcg, a corticosteroid that is used in the prevention and treatment of seasonal allergic rhinitis, more commonly known as "hayfever". To maximize effectiveness, treatment with SteroClear should commence prior to exposure to allergens. SteroClear is not designed to provide immediate relief from hayfever. It will generally take a few days to reach its full effect so SteroClear needs to be used on a regular basis, even when the symptoms appear to have abated. SteroClear will reduce swelling in the nasal passages, relieve sinus blockage, sneezing and sore eyes. SteroClear 50 Nasal Spray comes in a bottle containing 200 sprays.
The usual dosage for adults and children over 12 years is initially one or two sprays into each nostril twice a day (morning and night), then after 2 to 3 days, one spray into each nostril twice a day. Doses should be reduced for maintenance treatment once full effect is obtained.
Your doctor may tell you to use different doses to these. If so, follow their instructions.
Warnings and Cautions
- Only use SteroClear in the nose.
- Do not use with another steroid product e.g. tablets, asthma or nasal inhaler, except on the advice of a healthcare professional.
- Check with your doctor or pharmacist if you have a severe infection in the nasal passages or sinuses.
- Do not use SteroClear if you have recurring nasal bleeding or haemorrhagic diathesis.
- Consult with your doctor or pharmacist before using SteroClear if you are pregnant, breast-feeding or taking other corticosteroid medication.
- Consult your doctor if you have recently had an injury to, or surgery on, your nose, or problems with ulceration the nose.
- Consult your doctor if you experience acute eye pain or visual disturbance.
- Consult your doctor if you develop signs or symptoms of infection such as fever, nasal or facial pain or swelling, discoloured or purulent (containing pus) nasal discharge or nasal bleeding.
- If symptoms persist, consult you doctor. Do not use SteroClear for more than 6 months without medical supervision.
- Do not use SteroClear if you are allergic to Budesonide or any other component of SteroClear.
- There are no known interactions between SteroClear and other medicines or alcohol. SteroClear will not interfere with treatments for viral or bacterial nasal infection. SteroClear will not cause drowsiness.
- Keep out of the reach of children.
- In some cases, possible side effects of this medication may include: Occasionally a series of sneezes may immediately follow the use of SteroClear but this is usually only temporary, Very occasionally you may notice an unpleasant taste or smell, Temporary minor irritations such as an itching of the nose, throat and ears, sore throat and dry mouth may occur, slight secretions of blood may also appear in the mucus.
AFT Pharmaceuticals Ltd, NZ.
If you are currently taking other medications, have other medical conditions, you may be pregnant, or you are breastfeeding, please contact us to talk to a pharmacist.